Sunday 10 June 2007

Wanna live in a dildo???



Following a previous post about sail shaped buildings in the GCC, I did some research after I read that Jean Nouvel was planning to design an "Islamicised Torre Agbar" for a wealthy client from Qatar who requested from him to build the exact same building after seeing it in Barcelona.

Well the result is the second building on the right of the picture above... the Torre Agbar have been dubbed as the "dildo building" and since it has a striking resemblance to a year and a half older building called The Gherkin designed by Norman foster, the latter building caught the nickname as well... And now I've noticed that people have been calling the one in Qatar as the "condom building". I was afraid that Qatar would get that sail shaped building fever... but I guess they caught the dildo shaped building fever instead... how unfortunate for them!!

The funny thing is in that post I quoted Nouvel saying "If you travel a lot in the world... You see the same buildings without roots... You see a lot of repetition of stylistic vocabulary... It’s not the right attitude for architecture." I was anxious to see this "Islamicised Torre Agbar". And when I did I struggled to see what so "islamicised" about this building. Finally after deep and careful analysis I came to the conclusion that it could be a symbol to a circumcised penis since as Muslims men must circumcise their penises.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems live funny :)

Ali Lari said...

At last, somebody understands me! I've always thought the same...

Anonymous said...

The fact that one of them is in Barcelona, my favourite place of the World, makes me very sad panda