Wednesday 23 December 2015

Back!

Well, after putting some thought into it, I decided to go back to blogging after a 5 year hiatus. I initially started blogging back in 2007 posting images, videos, and links that I found interesting, so that I could easily refer to for inspiration whenever I needed to. Back then social media was not what it is today, so blogging seemed to be a good medium to do this. As social network websites and apps started emerging, I gradually lost interest in blogging as I found other more suitable media for my purpose. I kept the blog floating until 2010, when I gave it up as I picked up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and the list goes on... Some I have abandoned, others I still use to this day.

So what would make me start blogging again, you might ask yourself? Well, I decided to take on a new hobby, Urban Sketching! And what does this have to do with blogging, you might wonder? Well, as the manifesto of "Urban Sketchers" indicates, I would like to share my drawings online, documenting my progress and development. I pondered whether I should do this on Instagram or another website rather than here on my blog. And I came to the conclusion that I should do all, but what I'll also be focusing on, in this blog, is to share the stories behind the sketches, which might be more interesting to some.

I used to sketch all the time during school and university, but unfortunately did not keep it up later on. Recently, however, I cam across this book that ignited my passion for sketching again, Sketch City. The book contains amazing sketches, executed in a variety of styles, with glimpses of the methods used by different artists and their experiences on the go. Among the 25 artists that came from all over the world, I found 5 particularly interesting. I did some "stalking" and found some more material online, below is a list of the 5 artists:

So this will be a start of a new chapter in this blog, where I will be posting sketches of places I visit, and anything related to sketching. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it!


No comments: