Tuesday 2 December 2008

Henna Guitar





Henna has decorated young women’s bodies in social and holiday celebrations since "the late Bronze Age in the eastern Mediterranean". Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus and Zoroastrians, among others, all celebrated marriages by adorning the bride, and often the groom, with henna.

I stumbled across this Henna decorated guitar on Flickr which took my breath away. Perhaps seeing it in photos and not live in front of my eyes helped a lot in avoiding the nasty smell of Henna which I can't understand how women can stand it. However, the beautiful floral pattern very delicately cover up the edges of this wonderful musical instrument in a graceful manner that would block the smell waves from entering your brain and focus on the visual and maybe the audio aspects of the instrument. Check out the artist's website and Flickr account for more pictures.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thankyou for blogging about me! Check out a henna-ed Djembe I recently did...
http://flickr.com/photos/zarrinhenna/3252125525/in/set-72157606741932065/

Bash Mohandis said...

Glad you passed by... that djembe looks even more beautiful with its amazing detailed decoration... I raise my hat for you Haya.

Unknown said...

Heey!i was looking for some art works and came over your blog! I am an artist,well..somehow,everyday i draw something or paint or work in photoshop but i am not keen on this, but ur blog with all those links realy opened for me a new amazing world of art! how ppl are talanted look at them! abt this post...hahaha may be your mom and sisters have been doing henna everyday until you hate its smell. as i am sitting now awaiting while henna drawings on my feet and hands will get dry ...its almost halas,anyhow abt guitar i think its not news for me but i look at it as good canvas to get more practice before a girl will start decorate others hands;) just kidding,very nice work actually!
keep up your postings,they re really interesting and covering!

Matthew Crossley said...

Your blog is really great. You have an eye for beauty. I am really, really interested in Arabic art and music and I think I want to get some substantial tatoos with this theme. Can you point me in a good direction for artist I might want to check out. Thank you so much and excellent blog :)

crossley@umail.ucsb.edu

Bash Mohandis said...

Thanks Khaleejia and Matthew for your kind and encouraging words...

I've been lazy the past months and was thinking that this blog was just a phase that is over as I lost interest in posting my new findings... But your comments encouraged me to get back and hopefully new posts will appear soon.

Khaleejia… Actually I don’t have sisters and my mother rarely puts henna on… I once went to my grandmother’s house while they were having a henna night and the smell made it to the whole fereej and that was more than enough for me.

Matthew… As for ideas for Arabic inspired tattoos, you can start by looking in this book called Arabesque. It contains calligraphic works of all kinds and sorts which I am sure will make excellent tattoos.

Ali Lari said...

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, BRO?!

Bash Mohandis said...

Am here mate... just been distracted by a lot of things lately... but its time to concentrate now!